Thursday, June 4, 2009

Bajaj Yoh-ro Fan or The poor quality of Bajaj Euro Fan

Two years back, I changed all the ceiling fans in my flat. The Euro looked different. It also had the Bajaj branding. Good design, good brand, I thought.

Bajaj Euro Fan

At different times, in the last 2 months, 3 of these 4 fans have had to be repaired. Two of these started making a grating metallic noise, when run for more than 10 minutes. Noise which could be music, when drowned in the sound of heavy drums , to some ears at an acid rock concert. Ball bearings had to be replaced in these 2 fans. The other moved at the speed of of a windmill - when faced with wind speed of less than 6 knots*.The capacitor had to be replaced.

Ceiling and other fans, from as far as I can remember, have been very reliable. In the 70's and 80' I don't remember the fans in our house even requiring maintenance for over a decade. This is about fans from an era when Indian manufacturing had not yet come of age. The age of the Ambassador and the Premier Padmini.

The poor quality of these fans surprised me. What I am not sure of is,if this poor quality is on account of poor manufacturing at Bajaj or is it the Made in China effect?

Caveat emptor!

*A windmill needs a minimum wind-speed of 6.88 knots

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey There. I discovered your weblog the use of msn. That is a really
neatly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your useful information. Thanks for the post.
I will definitely comeback.

my page ... best staffing agencies los angeles